Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Karate
We officially enrolled Alex in Karate class last night. Tang Soo tykes is for just 4-6 year olds. After going to view one class and participating in 2 classes, Alex is just thrilled to be in the class now. He was so excited to get his patches and uniform last night! I ironed the uniform and put the patches on as soon as we got home. The class is very positive and is very goal oriented. We like the idea of him participating in something that is goal oriented, physically fit and focused. His teacher thinks that he is very eager. I've had a chance to view him in a learning environment which has been really neat. I won't always stay at the class, but I just was curious to see how he would do. The first practice was funny to watch because he kept saying "I know" to every question his instructor asked. I was thinking in the back of my head, "oh no, not one of those students," but she took it as him just being very eager. I've had plenty of know it all students, but always glad to have their enthusiasm! I was glad she was positive about him. The second class was a little different in that he really tried to listen and do. He wasn't trying to impress her as much. He also got to work with a few of the older boys in another class and they really helped motivate him. So far this class has been very good for him and I really hope he sticks with it. One of the classmates was earning a belt last night and he kept saying, I want to get a belt "really, really bad." He seems to have a goal in mind of the "green belt." I hope he keeps this spirit to learn! As part of the class, they have to learn their address, phone number, parents names, and the emergency number. So far he is able to recite everything except our phone number. Almost got it though! He has to say yes sir or ma'am after being asked a question, which we let him practice on us. He also loves to do the push-ups, jumping jacks and crunches. Time will tell, but I think he really has a good spirit about the class. I hope it continues to be fun and rewarding to him. Other then the swimming class we took when he was 2, this is really the first structured class he has taken. Our weeks are filling up with plenty to do now. Karate is 2 nights and I play in a community band one night. I also have chorus after school one day.......My mom always said staying busy helps you stay out of trouble!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment