Monday, February 27, 2012

Alexander's Sports Room

For about 2 years we have been trying to pull together a "Sports" themed room for Alexander. I have been collecting items from mostly second hand stores and yard sales, but a few items have been given as gifts. Here are some snaps of what we have done so far. Over Easter break we will be finishing the room up with a bookcase and storage shelf and wall decorations, but for now this is our progress.

I used his original outlet covers and some sports wall clings. I put a coat of gray paint from the walls on the cover and then cut out the clings to fit on the outlets.


Here are the sheets that are part of the bedding set that grammy and pap got Alex for his birthday. We designed the color scheme from the bedding. It was the inspiration for the room.


The bed quilt! I loved the pop of orange so we added in to the wall with the stripes. Still to come are a football head board made with plywood and vinyl. Jessie is also helping me with this project to be completed sometime soon! We met at Jo-Ann Fabric and picked out some brown vinyl that was 50% off, so hit at the right time! I like how everything that we have got for the room has just sort of worked out at the right time and for little or no money. If you allow a couple years before you do a project instead of running out to buy it all in the momment, you will save! It is hard to do that with most things, but so glad we have taken our time and waited until we had everything together.







This is a curtain rod that I purchased at a Church rummage sale for $5. I also got the lamp at the same time. It was also only $5. Alex and I were on our way to visit Jessie and Maggie this summer and we stopped to meet at the Hyndman Church rummage sale. Thanks to them for inviting us and sharing the day with us! The light switch and soccer shelf came from Jessie and Maggie for Alex's birthday. I think they also came from a second hand store.





The soccer shelf had a nick in the front edge, so I sanded it down and put a little blue paint from the room on there to touch it up.


I added a new light shade from target to the lamp and put one of the wall clings on it to add a little whimsical. There was also a picture on the back of the wall cling box with this cling on a lamp shade, so it gave me the idea.

I got a piece of wood from Walmart and used chalkboard paint. This will go on his wall with his dry erase board so he can make notes or write down important things. He wants to put his baseball game times on there!


Here are some views of the room after we cleared the clutter, patched and sanded holes. Jessie came over to help with painting and I couldn't have done it without her! She is in the middle of painting a football field mural on the wall. Not finished quite yet, but I know it will be awesome when she is done! I put the color pallet together for the rest of the room based on the comforter set and also an inspiration from a pinterest picture. Alex is more then over the moon with the orange stripes and mural.











I can't wait for the whole room to come together! Grandma and Grandpa Becker are coming up for Easter and will be bringing a book case and matching storage shelf. We will put the finishing touches on the room and post the finished product then!!

No comments: