I love to play in the snow, but I'm about done with all of the bugs that Alex has caught this winter. I don't think we have had a steady week without a cold or infection. Starting in October he had the beginning of pneumonia, then it was the stomach bug, mono, eye infection, and then finally "like the flu." We think it is due to mono, having all this trouble, but I sure hope spring treats him right!
I have missed so much school, I was worried I'd get a truancy letter! (not really, just joking folks)
So when Alex had the eye infection, we discovered his vision was not so good. He really struggled to see the chart, and I knew he could identify his letters. He could only really read the big E and maybe a couple underneath. We figured it was just due to the eye infection, because he had so much goo in there, but we thought we would just schedule an eye appointment when he got better.
This Saturday I took him for his eye exam, expecting not to have any problems. The doctor was actually our neighbor from 2 doors down. It's a small world. Well, after he took Alex through a series of tests, then dialated his eyes, it was discovered that he was very farsighted and was straining his eyes a lot to see. His eyes were even drawing inward for some of the tests. His prescription is +1.75 in both eyes and so we ordered glasses to help him. Alex was very cooperative in the exam and the doctor was great with him! Very kid friendly.
Alex was so excited to get glasses, but I've never had problems with my eyes or had to wear prescription glasses, so I called Bob to meet us and help!! I figured he would need something almost indestructable due to him just being a boy and getting ready to play sports. He wanted glasses like Harry Potter, silly kid. He was so excited while trying them on. The lady picked up a pair of glasses and twisted and turned them and said, "this is what he needs." I agreed and we ordered the best lenses that would be less likely to scratch. Thank goodness for Bob's insurance. I have no vision, so Alex and I are both on his insurance. They told us that it would be 8 days before he got his glasses, so every day and night he has been counting down. He can't wait.
For me, I'm a little sad that he has a vision problem and we didn't know by now, but I am happy that we discovered it so he can see without struggling so much. I'll post a picture soon with Alex and his new glasses. I'm sure he will be cute, but I'm hoping that he does like to wear them. He will wear them all the time........When t-ball starts up in the spring, we are going to get him the goggles so they will stay on his head!
No comments:
Post a Comment