Friday, April 19, 2013

Baseball 2013

Alexander just had his first game of the season (that counts) last night.  If you would like to come to a game or two, email me and I will send you his schedule.  I lost all of my contacts, so you may have to email me first and I will forward the schedule.  Here is a little preview of our "catcher."


I have to share a parent moment.  Last year, it was a real struggle to watch as Alex would strike out one after another each inning.... He always had great spirits about it and never got down.  He just kept trying.  We were always proud of him, but it was very hard to watch him struggle.  The coaches were great with him, always giving him encouragement.  Even the parents were very supportive and shared stories of their kids struggling to hit.   It made me proud when the coaches complimented Alex in front of his teammates for his perseverance and that he never threw the bat or got angry.  Bob worked and worked with him and it just never happened for him last year. The very last game of the year, he hit and I stood up screaming like a crazy woman, but as I looked around he was getting lots of cheers.  Everyone else was happy to see him finally hit! We were over the moon excited for him. 

The cool thing is, that this season he has the same attitude and is actually making some big hits.  I'm proud of that, but I just feel even better about his character traits that he is displaying. Perseverance, respect for his teammates and coaches, loyalty to his team, dedication to hard work, now we can even add bravery and courage!   He even asked to be the catcher on the team.  I would never be that brave to be behind the ball when other people are swinging.  I was worried that he wouldn't focus and get hurt.....but to my surprise, that is exactly what he needed.  When he was in the outfield, the boredom set in, so now that he is in the action of the game, he feels useful and strives to get even better.  Bob has been great working with him and the coach is happy to have a kid that really wants to do this position.  Alex actually goes after those foul balls, and throws his mask off and runs to get balls that are hit close to home base.  His drive to do well and be successful makes me happy.  He is so proud of himself, and even his teammates are so good with him.   They pat him on the back and are really nice and encouraging.  You can see when he came in from a run on the video how they all cheered for him.  He's feeling this new confidence and I'm just so proud that he feels good about himself and has good self esteem.  His abilities have improved, but with a good attitude and perseverance there are no limits.  I so hope as he gets older, he can keep this attitude and strive to always do his best.  To me, it doesn't matter how well you do something if you have a bad attitude.  You can never advance with the wrong attitude in my opinion.  I pray that Alexander stays true to his character and is an outstanding human being!  I am proud of his hitting, but his spirit makes me tear up with joy.

Last night was the first official game of the season and he had 2 big hits way out in the field.  He made it to 3rd base on one of the hits.  He actually ran all the way home, crossed the home plate and threw his hands in the air and had the biggest smile, his eyes were huge too.....it was so funny.  He had to go back to 3rd base though, because the pitcher had the ball before the line, but he was still happy with that.  He still tried to convince Bob that he had a home run.....it was funny.....






No comments: