Sunday, August 30, 2009

Angel
















We have added a new member to our family. Angel is a long haired Chihuahua mixed with a wiener dog we think. This summer I really wanted to add a puppy, but it didn't work out because we were moving, and Bob wasn't exactly sold on the idea. I do realize why this would not work while in the moving process. I gave up the idea and just thought next summer may be a better idea, and Bob was almost on board. The week before school started I was having lunch with my teacher friends during our Teacher Academy. Jen had been talking about a foster dog that she would like to find a home for. Angel sounded perfect for us, plus she came highly recommended! Jen offered to let us try her out for a couple of days first, and then decide if she was right for our home. She is trained, loving, a non-barker, friendly with cats, good with Alex, and great on a leash. How could we pass this darling up? She was dropped off at a shelter and has been in foster care for a while. Her foster mom also had 3 other dogs of her own and Angel was not afraid of them. Alex loves to walk her and I'm impressed at how well she listens. When Alex dropped the leash, Angel stopped and waited. She does not bark at other dogs around the neighborhood, but is a little nervous around strangers. She seems protective of us. She rides great in the car and loves to go for long walks around the neighborhood! A tired dog is a good dog according to a book that Alex and I got at the library. I've been reading a lot and watching the Dog Whisperer to get helpful hints. I was really worried at first about a small dog, because I heard that they can get a little snippy. After taking her to the vet and learning a little more about her, we have decided to adopt her!! She seems to really cling to me and sits like a baby on my lap. She loves her belly rubbed and getting treats when we come in from outside. Alex loves reading stories with her before he goes to bed. She hops right up with us and he giggles! He gets upset if I walk her without letting him come along. We also found a great walking trail in Cumberland. Last weekend Alex rode his bike and Bob and I walked with Angel and it was wonderful! The trail leads all the way to DC! We didn't go that far of course. We fell in love with Angel! Her foster mom has offered to Watch her if we ever decide to go out of town and can't take her. Mom has also offered, so we are very excited! Bob has even started taking her out during the day when we go to school. She is only in the house by herself for a couple of hours, so that is also working well. Bob and I had a long talk about her and I think he actually enjoys having her. He will grumble if you ask him, but he rubs her belly and plays with her too!!

No comments: